Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Poetry Everyday

Feast of Crows

They came at dusk—
the crows, the crows,
with beaks that spoke my sins aloud.
They did not circle, they descended.
They knew I would not run.

The earth split its jaw for me,
teeth of stone gnashing slow.
I fell willingly,
my bones eager to be
a banquet for the dark.

Somewhere above,
the moon turned her face away—
not in pity,
but in hunger.
 

The Soul Eater

When the flesh is gone,
the soul does not float—
it screams.
It claws at the ribs of the world,
trying to stay.

But something waits
between the last heartbeat
and the first silence.
It has no name,
only teeth,
and the patience of stone.

It devours not in haste
but in reverence,
tasting every memory,
every prayer you thought was yours.

When it is done,
there is no you.
Only a shadow
that walks without footsteps.
 
This is one I wrote back in 1998 and set to piano music. Unfortunately, I can no longer play the piano due to advanced arthritis in both hands.

You Walk Within My Soul​

Before I loved you Darling my life had no goal
I was a man of many pieces but now I've been made whole.
I'm so glad you can return the love I feel for you
I'll always give it freely and be glad that we are two
Star-crossed lovers in the night living and loving together
Like two morning doves in flight, our love a golden tether.

For You Walk Within My Soul and slip inside my dreams,
Now I'm a man made whole and I'll love you 'til the end of things.
​

Alas my Love, it's just a dream from which I must awaken
But until the end of things my love remains unshaken.
And if perchance the Fates decree our two halves be whole
Until then you're always with me for You Walk Within My Soul.

Yes, You Walk Within My Soul and slip inside my dreams,

Now I'm a man made whole and I'll love you 'til the end of things.
©NavyRet 1998​
 
I can't claim this one, but I found it going through some old .doc files. Don't know who the author might have been, but I'm sure you will all get a chuckle out of it.

SPELL CHECKER

Eye halve a spelling checker
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marcs four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong or write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye kin put the air or rite
Its rare lea ever wrong
Eye halve run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its let her perfect awl the weigh
My checker tolled me sew.
 

The Maw Beneath the World

Beneath the roots of the world,
there is a mouth—
older than bone,
older than God.


It waits in the black
where light has never dared to breathe.
It does not sleep.
It only listens.


It hears the rustle of your pulse,
the trembling of your veins,
and it salivates.


When the hourglass empties,
you will not rise.
You will not fall.
You will sink.


The maw will open,
and the first thing you will feel
is not teeth—
but the hands that pull you in,
hands that were once human,
once like yours.
 

The Silence That Devours

Death wears no robe, no crown.
It is naked and infinite,
a wound without a beginning.

When you meet it,
it will not speak.
It will simply reach inside you
and take the name
you have always whispered to yourself.

You will still see,
but not with eyes.
You will still hear,
but only the grinding—
the endless grinding
of the Silence eating
everything you thought was you.

And when it is done,
there will be nothing left
for anyone to remember.
 
Last edited:
Fire and Ice

Fire and ice
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice, 5
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Robert Frost
 

The Black Cathedral

My soul was dragged through corridors
of stone that breathed.
Each step bled centuries.
The air was thick with prayers—
prayers that rotted into screams.

At the altar stood a figure
shaped from the bones of the forgotten.
It had my face,
but no mouth.

It took my shadow first,
peeling it from the floor
like wet skin.
Then it reached into my chest
and plucked out the small,
pale thing that once
believed in light.

The bells rang,
but there was no sound.
Only the echo of myself
walking away with it.
 

Bone of My Bone

You are not just the flame—
you are the firewood,
the spark,
the smoke that curls into the stars.

Your name is carved in places
my hands have never touched,
yet my heart knows every letter.

If the earth were stripped bare,
if the seas swallowed the sky,
I would still find you
in the marrow of the dark—
bone of my bone,
breath of my breath.

I was never whole until you.
Now even my shadow
walks with two steps.
 

We Do Not End

The years will take our hands,
and still,
yours will be the one I reach for.

The world will turn to dust,
and still,
your eyes will be the map I follow.

Even when this body falls silent,
my soul will recognize you—
the way rivers recognize the sea,
the way light recognizes dawn.

We do not end, my love.
We only change the places
where we find each other.
 
I wrote this back in 1998 when I lost a good friend.


Remembering a Friend​

by ​

NavyRet​

​
I knew him only eight short years
But during that wonderful time,
We shared laughs and we shared tears.
I was his and he was mine.

If I was sad or feeling down
He'd make me feel good again.
He could always be a clown.
Yes, Charlie was my friend.

He'd meet me at the door each night
If I'd been working late.
His eyes were always full of light
No matter how long he'd had to wait.

The way he'd dance around, that boy
Whenever I came in
Always filled my heart with joy
Whenever I'd see him.

He gave me love and shared my life
Right up to the end.
Through all life's stress and daily strife
Charlie was my friend.

He was always someone
On whom I could depend,
For he was more than just a dog;

Charlie was my Friend.
​
 

Recent Sites

Latest Reviews

Back
Top