Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2013 Lawn, Garden & Orchard thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter kirk1701®
  • Start date Start date
K

kirk1701®

Going to try to start this off with the pictures from early spring and work forward to present.

Will try to take photo's as close to the originals as possible which is kind of hard but I try.
Here yu go, just mowed and spruced up today so I've been busy
Lawn
943050_4290165745811_899933506_n.jpg


Dogwoods in center are gone and if you notice the fence stake dead center of the pic, have a Pecan tree in the back, no pollination so hoping to get one going in the front to pollinate it plus give us some afternoon shade in about ohhh 20 years :thumbsup:
529842_4290165665809_2013494471_n.jpg


428460_4290165585807_1182753209_n.jpg


405783_4290165185797_1472631901_n.jpg


943800_4290165145796_1812659338_n.jpg


601818_4290165305800_1095136431_n.jpg


Landscaping
Not much blooming yet due to the weather, not even my lilies have opened yet. But here's a look at the new Landscaping I did last fall, followed by some of the existing.
320881_4290178986142_499326692_n.jpg


922980_4290179266149_1699552365_n.jpg


317103_4290179146146_1131755005_n.jpg


551334_4290179666159_1131262923_n.jpg


524617_4290179826163_781990623_n.jpg


Like I said, nothing blooming yet but do have 6 Crape Myrtles on order for this area. I'm a bit tired of the Marigolds every year and besides, they take water everyday.
420632_4290180026168_872336023_n.jpg


Roses should be blooming soon.
163524_4290180586182_1964009736_n.jpg


Anyone ready to go fishin' that dogwood tree just screams bass are on the bed :deathmetal
943462_4290180346176_1295676136_n.jpg


Last years Crape Myrtles we started, hoping for some shade on that brick this summer.
946665_4290180466179_1476830773_n.jpg


New to the landscaping this spring, extended the brick on out and 3 more crape Myrtles for shade.
3592_4290180826188_1977753791_n.jpg


923138_4290180946191_1705948406_n.jpg


Walkway through garden
575493_4290181026193_742882063_n.jpg


Garden & Orchard
Not much garden yet and what gardening I do have we'll, the dam beans look terrible and might need to start over and replant when we get a steady heat in the forecast.

Fruit tree's however, AWESOME!!! That is when I can keep from breaking them off at the top of the ground. I've done had to replace a apple tree due to the tractor catching the sheet it was covered with for frost. Like I said, been a cold spring.
5267_4290169025893_630305977_n.jpg


942862_4290168745886_48294920_n.jpg


Peaches on the left, Cherry on the right and behind the garage 2 small apples.
935456_4290169185897_919358742_n.jpg


941107_4290169385902_2127829601_n.jpg


The first one you see is the replacement apple. Next small guy is a plum I just got.
551334_4290169825913_2098433029_n.jpg


Another shot of the peaches.
247075_4290169905915_670800353_n.jpg


Like I said, there is no garden yet.
940947_4290170105920_1659181162_n.jpg


198287_4290170345926_1102016327_n.jpg


945398_4290170465929_1766950000_n.jpg


Tomato cages just raring and waiting :mrgreen:
485612_4290170625933_217406579_n.jpg
 
Early May

All this for $24 and will fill 2 deep freezers :thumbsup:
308527_4296575426049_540272850_n.jpg


Here yu go guys
Got it all done ahead of the rain coming in, this side at least I still have the side by the garage to break up and plant.

Had to take the fencing down, re till the first couple rows on the left and replant the beans I sowed early April, that was a mistake and I should never had started that early.

931308_4326029682387_727459803_n.jpg


50 Tomato plants, the first tray in the pic a few posts up.
4 Bell peppers and the onions from the second tray went along the left side by the beans.
216355_4326029962394_790624729_n.jpg


5 rows of Okra on the right side
942168_4326029522383_598593551_n.jpg


I love the month of May
When I post the June 9 pics a month from now your going to Say holy siht what fertilizer did I use :lol
And by July, you won't see the gas tank from this angle :lol:
395771_4326030122398_71419007_n.jpg


More to come from the other side when I get that done but its just a small spot for squash & zucchini and cucumbers :D

I'm beat and I look like a red beet and feel like I've been rolled up hard and put up wet : :mrgreen:

Oh and I lost 10 Lbs
I'm now 170 Lbs. which is 10 Lbs below my goal weight. :lol:


Mid May
We have beans up and Okra also popping up thanks to the 85 degree temps the last week :mrgreen:

Got the rest of the garden planted yesterday.
Cucumbers against the garage, Squash and zucchini (we love zucchini bread and zucchini & tomato's)
Some more hot peppers, green peppers, a hot pepper I'm trying for the first time from seed.

13489_4351697844075_1819373077_n.jpg


428544_4351698004079_114016702_n.jpg


I grow my own beans I suggest you rabbits do the same. I don't go in no one else's pantry and help myself. :lol:
944643_4351695444015_662463942_n.jpg


Dead rabbit gets put beside garden as a warning to those who attempt trespassing.
947017_4351697644070_2142427345_n.jpg
 
Beginning of June, exactly 1 month later for garden :mrgreen:
Will have July Pics up soon and HOLY COW!!!! Tomatoes are as tall as me.

No photoshop needed, yes these are one month appart :lol

1001320_4440672308381_1132196175_n.jpg


8512_4440672628389_1848730097_n.jpg


1002100_4440672468385_1175452425_n.jpg


5846_4440672788393_203547125_n.jpg


945656_4440672908396_1814380149_n.jpg


972134_4440673068400_310361790_n.jpg
 
Just took yesterday

Lawn
For not having any rain for a good two weeks were looking quit good, very little watering so far.
998687_4524552645337_201920530_n.jpg


931221_4524552885343_1899413801_n.jpg


1010757_4524552445332_880923458_n.jpg


995664_4524552525334_1887866714_n.jpg


1044549_4524552125324_462323440_n.jpg


983956_4524551965320_2133747466_n.jpg




Landscaping
Got the bright idea to try some cantaloupe in the landscaping, well see.
7955_4524523084598_676513099_n.jpg


And on this side, watermelon which seem to be doing good.
1010552_4524523284603_2006227404_n.jpg


1044412_4524523004596_551929965_n.jpg


480896_4524523644612_1008402682_n.jpg


Little tired of the marigolds every year and too much upkeep so looking for something a bit more permanent. Got the Gladiolus coming up, should be blooming soon and some small crape myrtles to take their place next year.
1044877_4524523484608_1554863128_n.jpg


More Gladiolus starting to bloom and roses fixing to bloom for the second time.
1011688_4524523764615_126352822_n.jpg


Crape Myrtles started last year and boy did they take off this spring as you can tell from the first post with this pic.
1014353_4524524484633_274934882_n.jpg


Crape Myrtles in the new addition planted this year.
1013509_4524524204626_2087367440_n.jpg


1005051_4524524324629_1828900621_n.jpg
 
Thanks guys
As you can see from the last photo the garden is a jungle, I'll have updated garden pics this week.

However I'd sad to say no peaches this year, don't know what happened, got nice dime size and bigger then started falling off till they were all gone. :hmmm:
 
Question. In some places, it looks like you're using wood chips as mulch. In other places, it looks like just the soil. Yet I don't see any weeds. None. How do you do that? Even on my best day, I'll have some, somewhere.
 
alsh said:
Question. In some places, it looks like you're using wood chips as mulch. In other places, it looks like just the soil. Yet I don't see any weeds. None. How do you do that? Even on my best day, I'll have some, somewhere.

Some of the wood chips you see is new landscaping as of last fall, I could not keep grass there because it dried out way to fast and in full sun so the grass died out, I'd replant in the fall, next season repeat so I decided to do something different.

This year those area's I decided to see if I could use the land for watermelon and cantaloupe :thumbsup:
That has yet to be determined but the watermelon seems to be thriving :mrgreen:

The garden is just soil but to answer your question both these area's I keep the weeds down with a Pre-Emergent which is a granule product, spread like you would fertilizer to prevent the weed seed from germinating before it gets warm enough to sprout. Preen is my choice for these areas but in the garden you have to do it carefully because it will also prevent your seeds (beans for example) from sprouting. So it has to be applied after the beans and other seed are up then spray a little round up to kill what did sprout.

Code:
http://www.preen.com/

As for the yard, same theory goes using a Pre-Emergent made for lawns that prevents weeds from germinating and any winter weeds I hit that in the early spring with some weed killer which pretty much covers 90% of the weed problem. I keep a little 2,4D on hand in a spray bottle for any breakthrough weeds I find during the summer and a squirt here and there before they get out of control covers the other 10%.

Something like this so you get your Nitrogen, Pre-M and Iron all down at 1 time
Code:
http://www.lebanonturf.com/products/items/2254326/index.aspx

And, I have tomatoes :thumbsup:

Just in time too because were out of the 120 quarts we did last season.
1045017_4556253117829_1158949300_n.jpg


1016792_4556252957825_363259097_n.jpg
 
Damn dude, i remember when this whole thread started back on old Dirtywarez. You'll be able to start your own fruit & veggie shop from homel lol
 
Thanks for the information. Too late for the Preen this year but watch out next year.
Tomatoes are beautiful.
 
alsh said:
Thanks for the information. Too late for the Preen this year but watch out next year.
Tomatoes are beautiful.

It gets better each year
You think you know all there is but I find something better to try next year and can't wait.

Now, this was the first year I used the preen in the whole garden which will keep the weeds down "IN THE WHOLE GARDEN".

What does this mean? Less weed seed will be grown in that area so next year there should be less seedlings but I'll still use the preen none the less.

I just wish I knew what happened with my peaches and if it was something I did wrong or something I could have prevented :hmmm:
They all fell off so I can't brag about my peaches this year, looks like we will be buying those too.
 

Recent Sites

Latest Reviews

Back
Top