I chose "I am a parent, and I don't," but not because I just think my kids should play anything they set their mitts on...
My Kids ages are: David 26, Xavier 15, Maria 13.
When they were younger, I allowed them to get a game that was teen or adult rated ONLY after I checked it out for WHY it was rated that way.
The kids and I are horror movie and action movie fans. So we've seen all the nonsense splatter stuff and laugh at it most of the time for the absurdities.
Strong sexual content on the other hand, that's something I avoid exposing them to. They'll acclimate to that in school on their own.
If the game is rated for violence or gore, that wasn't a problem for me because we've already established that after going to see Santa Claws, the kids aren't gonna run around the neighbourhood on December 24th murdering folks with a fireman's axe.
Now that they are older, it's still not a problem for me, because they are compassionate, caring people who still understand that the game is just a game, and has nothing to do with Real Life situations. Even The Sims gets a big laugh out of us, because in real life you don't just FORGET to eat and wake up a skeleton in bed.
Bottom line for me, the rating system isn't "you have to be this tall to ride this ride" for me, but it DOES help me decide if I have to youtube the gameplay before it ends up in the xbox library.
-Chris