Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Toy

  • Thread starter Thread starter kirk1701®
  • Start date Start date
Re: Warp Drive online

Looks good my friend.
That should see you through.
But could you rig it up to the fence, generating an electrical current and get the neighbor from hell to see how long she can hold on for...

STd99xa.gif
 
Re: Warp Drive online

wait a sec... didn't you already start a topic called "new toy" showing off the generator? You already made us all jealous in your first topic, I would trade my girlfriend, car and firstborn son to have a generator like that! Why rub salt in the wound!?!

Ok screw it... I'm gonna go beg for change in front of McDonalds until I can have a generator like that too! Might take me a few years.... I will just say "excuse me sir, can you spare some change for a generator?" :)
 
Re: Warp Drive online

b4e is right, it's a repeat or "re-generated" topic. But I wouldn't "trade my girlfriend, car and firstborn son to have a generator like that". I would, however, trade the wife, even without getting anything in return, except I ain't got one. So no generator for me. :P
 
Re: Warp Drive online

bum4evr said:
wait a sec... didn't you already start a topic called "new toy" showing off the generator? You already made us all jealous in your first topic, I would trade my girlfriend, car and firstborn son to have a generator like that! Why rub salt in the wound!?!

Ok screw it... I'm gonna go beg for change in front of McDonalds until I can have a generator like that too! Might take me a few years.... I will just say "excuse me sir, can you spare some change for a generator?" :)

Your right I did
I forgot that thread was down the list a ways :salute:

Anyways, about 1/4" of ice right now, were getting hit pretty good tonight so I hope we don't lose power but no need to fear if we do.

I guess having it is more "piece a mind" than anything. Other than that its going to be stored, kept maintenanced and just ready to use if needed.
 
Re: Warp Drive online

NavyRet said:
How are you wiring it up to the house?

Will only be temporary thing and if needed so from extension cords to the fridge and deep freezers.

Food and heat mainly what we want.

Still got electric this morning but its coming down pretty good.
About 1/4" of ice and looks like 4 inches of snow ontop of that, winds howling too so its going to drift
 
Re: Warp Drive online

OK. Here's a trick to power the whole house.

1. Turn OFF the main to your house (This prevents uploading power to the local transformer when the power comes back on). Otherwise, you'll be uploading 110 volts to the local transformer which will convert it to a much higher voltage that can electrocute any lineman working on the power lines.
2. Run a double male extension cord from the generator to a wall outlet. This will power 1/2 of the house. You'll have to make this double male because AFAIK, nobody sells anything like this.
3. Obtain a piece of copper about 1/4 inch in diameter and bend it into a U shape.
4. Plug the copper U into your electric dryer's outlet - one side of the U into each of the two plug holes (don't use the ground hole, just the hot and the neutral). DO NOT TOUCH THIS COPPER U WHILE THE GENERATOR IS RUNNING !!! If you don't have a 220 outlet for an electric dryer, then skip numbers 3 and 4. In this case you will only have power to 1/2 of the outlets and light switches. This is because your 220 dryer outlet combines 2 110 circuits to make the 220 for the dryer. I suppose a 220 electric stove outlet would work as well.
5. Turn on the generator. You now have power to every 110 outlet in the house and every 110 light switch.

Now just watch your neighborhood street lights to see when the power comes back on and then follow these steps in reverse to safely unhook from the generator.

I know this works because I used to do it in Florida when a hurricane would knock out the power for days at a time. Eventually, I just hard-wired the generator to a sub panel and installed a cut-off switch to make it easier to run the house on generator power.
 
Re: Warp Drive online

NavyRet said:
OK. Here's a trick to power the whole house.

1. Turn OFF the main to your house (This prevents uploading power to the local transformer when the power comes back on). Otherwise, you'll be uploading 110 volts to the local transformer which will convert it to a much higher voltage that can electrocute any lineman working on the power lines.
2. Run a double male extension cord from the generator to a wall outlet. This will power 1/2 of the house. You'll have to make this double male because AFAIK, nobody sells anything like this.
3. Obtain a piece of copper about 1/4 inch in diameter and bend it into a U shape.
4. Plug the copper U into your electric dryer's outlet - one side of the U into each of the two plug holes (don't use the ground hole, just the hot and the neutral). DO NOT TOUCH THIS COPPER U WHILE THE GENERATOR IS RUNNING !!! If you don't have a 220 outlet for an electric dryer, then skip numbers 3 and 4. In this case you will only have power to 1/2 of the outlets and light switches. This is because your 220 dryer outlet combines 2 110 circuits to make the 220 for the dryer. I suppose a 220 electric stove outlet would work as well.
5. Turn on the generator. You now have power to every 110 outlet in the house and every 110 light switch.

Now just watch your neighborhood street lights to see when the power comes back on and then follow these steps in reverse to safely unhook from the generator.

I know this works because I used to do it in Florida when a hurricane would knock out the power for days at a time. Eventually, I just hard-wired the generator to a sub panel and installed a cut-off switch to make it easier to run the house on generator power.

Thanks Navy
Actually I thought about doing just that as I have a little electrical background however I was a bit unsure if it would work. My thinking was a double male for the 220 line to the dryer with about a 10 gage cable and just use the 220 on the generator straight to the dryer.

Flip the main switch on the breaker to prevent back feeding along with any breakers I wouldn't be using just for safety.
 
Re: Warp Drive online

Yep, your idea should work, too. I wasn't sure if you had electric or gas powered dryer/stove, so just did the 110 stuff.
 
Moderated Message:
Threads merged


Now ya don't have to dig up that one kirk ;) btw how's the new printer working for ya :)
 
Ch3vr0n said:
Moderated Message:
Threads merged


Now ya don't have to dig up that one kirk ;) btw how's the new printer working for ya :)

:thankyou:

Think someone else got the new printer, mine is about 3 years old.
I love it too

Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packard-OJPRO8100-Wireless-Printer/dp/B006M1MFEA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393941819&sr=1-1&keywords=hp+officejet+pro+8100
Uses very little ink, can see when it was last changed in the GUI and some of the color cartridges were installed in 2010 :icecream:

Navy
I got some more info on another site
Something about unscrewing the meter box for safety and if there was a fire homeowners insurance would not cover the damage as this is illegal?
 
No, you don't have to do that. Just turn off the main coming into the house before firing up the generator and then turn off the generator before turning the main back on.
 

Recent Sites

Latest Reviews

Back
Top