Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

It WORKED! W11 on an unsupported computer... but!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Denyse
  • Start date Start date
D

Denyse

I viewed a few of the many work a-rounds to get Windows 11 on unsupported computers, and did find one method that seemed to be a possibility. I downloaded the required files, dug out an old Dell XPS 17 computer (from 2010) and then followed the easy to follow instructions.

Low and behold, it worked! No problems (read on) all of my old software was still there and everything ran...

BUT, her it comes, TOO SLOW. While the method to install Windows 11 was flawless, on my really old computer, the processor 1.87GHz just did not have enough to make using it with Windows 11 worth it. So, I used the recovery option, and in less than an hour my old computer, that was made to run with Windows 7 was again humming away with Windows 10 Pro, like a champ.

I write this to let everyone know, while it is possible to run Windows 11 Pro on an old computer, and it will update, if your processor does not have the power, do not waste your time.
 
Funny enough, all she requires is a dual core CPU. But, I've never seen a dual core with Secure Boot and TPM 2.0 support without using a separate chip, so MS's specs on it run wild, and make little to no sense.
 
The system I got it onto, had an i7 processor and 16gb of ram, and a 3gb NVIDIA but it still just ran too slow. I may give it another go, on a desktop that is also an i7 but it has 32gb and a 16gb NVIDIA, but all it has on it now is just Windows 10 Pro, nothing else. So if it too runs slow it will tell me something, with no other overhead.
 
Not sure how this is a help issue.....moved to GD

Yeah, I questioned that at first too...

But... to add to this discussion, if anyone's interested in having Windows 11, but not all that bloat... check out Tiny11.

Code:
https://www.techradar.com/news/tiny11-is-out-promising-to-be-windows-11-without-steep-hardware-requirements
 
microsoft are trying to dictate the market with their software at some point people will get hacked off with it and say.......I'm going to use open source instead. You wait, microsoft will announce that win 10 updates will be ending soon (as soon as win 11 hits a certain amount of sales)
 
From a girlfriend who works at Microsoft, in 2024 Windows 12 will come out, and there will be a version that will not have the hardware restrictions of Windows 11; due to the number of computers that the Federal government uses that do not meet those requirement and as such the government never came to an agreement with Microsoft to upgrade their operating systems from Windows 10 to 11. That is a huge amount of money lost to the company.
 
Maybe not on this board, but it is a major topic in the HELP section of a lot of others.


I am not thinking of other boards, just this one :) and I am sure when people see it or get pointed to your post, it will help others. I am glad it worked for you, I think I put win 10 on an old dell and it was extremely sluggish so I put win 7 on and it ran quite happily and sits idle in a corner with the other dell that has win 7 on it.

Wayback when vista came out, I built my computer to use the OS as efficiently as possible and because there was supposed to be loads of games coming out for vista.....however, the reverse was the case, I think I had 2 games for it but it worked well, never had any issues with sorting out drivers etc. Think the mobo died on that....
 
Looking around the place, I have computers that still run, Unix, 2 with MSDOS (different versions), Windows 3.11, Windows 98SE, Windows XP Professional , Windows 7 Professional, Windows 10 Professional and of course the one I am on now, Windows 11 Professional, can hardly wait until I can add more junk to my collection with one running Windows 12 Professional as well. Also sitting in the rack are various other operating systems both Microsoft (like Vista and ME, and a couple that never saw the light of day) and server editions along with some non-pc stuff. Just cannot throw anything away.
 
Maybe not on this board, but it is a major topic in the HELP section of a lot of others.

You didn't ask a question, which made the difference.

And, even though you didn't... I replied with Tiny11.. and yes, there's even a Tiny10.

Also sitting in the rack are various other operating systems both Microsoft (like Vista and ME, and a couple that never saw the light of day) and server editions along with some non-pc stuff. Just cannot throw anything away.

I've collected all versions myself. Not on a rack, all Windows versions (and DOS from 1 to 7) up to XP (slipstreamed) are on a single DVD. The rest have their own DVD respectively. Too many Linux distros to download, might as well just leave them on the servers and let others keep them alive. I stopped collecting server editions after 2003.
 

Recent Sites

Latest Reviews

Back
Top