Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Great News

NavyRet

Yes, that's really me
V I P
DW Legend
Joined
Jan 1, 1970
Messages
973,662
Reaction score
715
Points
201
Loc
The Pegasus Galaxy
We just got back from Baby's Cardiology followup visit at the University of Minnesota Vet clinic. They were finally able to complete the ultrasound of her heart (due to us giving her a tranq this morning) and the results are super. There's an 85% chance that surgery will be able to correct the PDA that is causing the hole between her aorta and her pulmonary artery. Without the surgery she wouldn't last 6 months. With it, there's a very good chance she could enjoy a normal life span. She's scheduled for the surgery a week from this Wednesday. I could sure use all your good thoughts and prayers. Thanks.

PDA:
http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/cardiovascular/c_ct_patent_ductus_arteriosus
 
Great news indeed!

svBUX3t.jpg


Our thoughts and wishes are with poor Baby who has won our feelings with her stoic suffering. They will carry her thru the operation.
 
Always nice to get good news about our furry friends.
I have two dogs who are like real part of our family.
It don't matter how crappy your day gets, when you get home
they make you forget why you were grouchy.
Best of luck to you...StevenK
 
Thanks to everyone for all the positive vibes. I'll post back with updates as they become available.
 
Just to let you all know, Baby's surgery is tomorrow morning. The plan is to insert a pediatric catheter in her femoral artery and work it up to her heart, through her heart and into her pulmonary artery. From there, they'll insert a coil into the blood vessel that didn't close, preventing the unnatural blood flow from the aorta back to the pulmonary artery. The surgery will take about 3 hours and should be finished by around 10 AM CST. I'll post back here when I know something.
 
Update - Not so great news. Baby's been in surgery for 7.5 hours now. The first plan to occlude the unclosed PDA met with failure because the blood vessel was too large in diameter for the coil to fill it. The tried numerous times, to no avail. That being said, they called us and asked if we wanted to continue with what is basically open heart surgery. An incision in her left side to gain access to the PDA from the outside. The procedure requires separating her ribs and tying a ligature around the PDA to stop the flow of blood from the aorta to the pulmonary artery. The downside is that the vessel could burst under the additional pressure and that would be it. If successful, she would be 85% cured - a chance at a longer life with a better quality of life. The alternative is to let it go as is and she would get progressively worse over the next few months and die of congestive heart failure - essentially drowning in her own fluids. We opted to have them go ahead with the open heart surgery (at a considerable upcharge which we'll have some trouble coming up with, but if there's a chance, it's worth it, as far as I'm concerned.

As I said, she's still in surgery and they will call us when she's out. I am cautiously optimistic.
 
Just got a call from the surgeon and Baby came through her operation in excellent condition. They were able to completely close the PDA. He said she has a chest tube in and is on pain medications. Depending on how things go throughout the night, she might be able to come home tomorrow afternoon. At most she would need one more night in the ICU if she still needs the chest tube. They'll know more in the morning when they do a chest x-ray. He said her heart immediately slowed down and her blood pressure improved as soon as they closed off the PDA. I'm so relieved, I'm just beside myself. Will post more info as it becomes available. Thanks for the support ladies and gents.
beer11.gif
 
I am very saddened by this unfortunate development and can only hope the best possible outcome under the circumstances. But poor Baby will suffer pain long after the operation. Only very few cat lovers would be generous enough to go thru such costly procedure, I only hope there's an insurance to at least cover part of the costs.
 
Nope, no insurance. Pet insurance here is not available for pre-existing conditions. But I have a credit card. I don't mind going into debt for this little sweetheart.

Got a call from the surgeon this morning and Baby came through the night with flying colors. No drainage from the chest tube and she has been drinking water and ate a tiny bit. He said she maybe could come home this evening. I'm not sure about that though. On the one hand, I'd love to have her home and I'm sure she would prefer to be home BUT, in the ICU they can watch her all night. Here at home, when I'm asleep, no one is watching her. So the question is, do I ask them to keep her for another night or do I bring her home today? I dunno right now. I'll have to think on it.
 
My previous post crossed the one before it, so the news is actually better than it seemed at the time of writing it.

As for making the right choices, being far away and with no relevant experience, I cannot responsibly advise, other than say I’d tend to ask the specialists for theirs.
 

Recent Sites

Latest Reviews

Back
Top